Latest Posts

SEO: The Title Becomes A Title Link

There is help for all SEOs out there. Google has published two new help documents. The first article is about optimizing your titles. The second is about optimizing the entire snippet. So far, there has been a standard document for both topics. We’d like to briefly summarize what can be found in these help articles and what’s new.

The Title Link

We all know the title. It is one of the essential meta elements on a page. Google has now renamed it: the title becomes the title link. Why? Because it is the link on the search results page that leads to your website. Otherwise, everything stays the same. You still place the title link with the <title> tag at the head of your page. The standard practices for writing the best possible title link have not changed either. 

If you are not sure which they are, you can read them in the help document. It would be best if you took the time to optimize your title links. In 87 per cent of all cases, your title link will be displayed as you specified it. With the remaining 13 per cent, Google readjusts and chooses another one that, in their opinion, fits better.

The Snippet

The snippet still consists of the meta description and possibly rich results. These are drawn from the structured data on your site. With the meta description, it often happens that Google uses a text from the website instead of the one specified in the tag. You cannot influence that because the algorithm decides what is shown in the snippet.

Nobody knows precisely what is going on behind Google’s doors. That’s why there isn’t One guide that you can follow to be guaranteed to land on position one on the search results page. Since 2019, Google has been more open with information about ranking factors and leaks tips from time to time.

Google’s senior webmaster trend analyst John Mueller delivers such news in the role of the unofficial spokesman. If you follow him on Twitter or other channels, you are always up to date. If we bundle John Mueller’s Google messages, we can see a few basic guidelines. These are the essential factors that no core updates will change in the future either.

If you follow these rules, you are on the right path to a strong ranking.

  1. Make sure you publish quality content and adhere to the EAT principle.
  2. Your content has to match the keyword you are optimizing for. A pear has no place on a page with the keyword “apple”. The content must provide the user with valuable information (relevance).
  3. When writing your content, think about the search intent of the user. Remember: You don’t write for search engines. You write for people.
  4. Example: You have a page with a pizza recipe, and you are optimizing for the keyword “pizza service”. If a user searches for “pizza service”, she lands on your page and is annoyed. Why? She wanted to order pizza and not bake it herself.
  5. Ease of use plays an important role. If you want a good ranking, you should offer the best possible user experience on all devices.

One Final Pro Tip: 

Despite all the rumours about the Google algorithm and pseudo-experts, don’t believe everything you read about it on the internet. The official sources from Google are still the best place to go.


Latest Posts

Don't Miss